Summer is officially here! While the sun can feel great on your skin and provide necessary Vitamin D, too much can cause long-lasting damage. While prolonged sun exposure is the number one risk factor for skin cancer, some of the most effective precautions to prevent sun damage are also the easiest. Follow these quick and easy summer health tips for staying safe while enjoying the summer outdoors.
Summer Health Tips
Following these summer health tips can help you enjoy the beautiful summer weather while keeping your health and safety in mind.
Hydration is Key
The key to staying safe and healthy this summer is staying hydrated. Aim for at least 8-12 cups of water every day. Tips to stay hydrated include:
- Drinking plenty of water throughout the day. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty.
- Limiting alcohol, sugary drinks, and/or caffeine.
- Knowing the signs of dehydration and seeking medical attention right away if you experience severe dehydration symptoms such as confusion, dizziness, fainting, rapid heart rate, or others.
Stay Cool During Exercise
Regular physical activity is crucial for health and wellness. However, if you plan on exercising outdoors, be sure to take some precautions so you don’t get overheated in hot weather. These precautions and summer health tips include:
- Exercising in the morning or evening, when it’s cooler outdoors.
- If possible, exercising in shady areas.
- Wearing lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- If it’s too hot out, move your workout indoors.
Protect Your Skin From the Sun
UV rays can damage your skin in as little as 15 minutes. Help protect your body from the sun by:
- Using a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF rating of 30 or higher and applying regularly.
- Covering up in protective clothing and a wide-brimmed hat to protect as much skin as possible.
- Protecting your eyes with sunglasses that block at least 99% of UV light.
- Limiting time in direct sunlight by seeking shade or taking breaks indoors as often as you can.
Prioritize Health and Safety This Summer
Follow these summer health tips to help ensure a safe and healthy season. For specific questions regarding your personal health and ability to spend time in the heat and sun, be sure to talk with your doctor and limit your sun exposure as needed. Remember, certain medications can heighten your sensitivity to sunlight and increase your risk for sunburns or allergic reactions. The FDA outlines several of these medications, some of which are very common. Be sure to review the labels on your medications and discuss any questions with your personal doctor.
By establishing a membership with a concierge medical practice, like Dedication Health, you get inclusive treatment that goes beyond traditional medicine. If you are to get started with a concierge medical practice in Chicago, contact us today! You can reach our office at 847-986-6770. You may also complete our online contact form and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible. Dedication Health is conveniently located at 710 Oak St, Winnetka, IL 60093.
Learn more about concierge medicine from the links listed below.
Concierge Medicine: Benefits of On-Demand Healthcare
Concierge Medicine Can Save You Money – Here’s The Proof